Next Generation Jazz Festival
“The students were really psyched-up for playing after learning who the judges were. When they stood on the stage on Sunday, they knew they were playing for their heroes.” —Chris Bruya, director of Central Washington University's Jazz Studies Program and CWU Jazz Band 1, 2015 College Division Winner
There’s no greater place to learn than on the bandstand. That’s why each spring we invite over 1300 of the nation’s top student musicians to play their hearts out at the Next Generation Jazz Festival (NGJF). One of the most inclusive festivals in the United States, the festival welcomes performances by middle, high school and collegiate groups of every kind: big bands, combos, vocal ensembles, as well as conglomerate bands. Over 130 groups apply each year, and from these the very best duke it out for the glory of performing at the Monterey Jazz Festival in September.
Over the course of three days, students can:
- Hear and play with some the best student performers in the country
- Learn tips and techniques in workshops led by the pros
- Get their minds blown by our star-studded judges band
- Receive detailed and thoughtful critique from our experienced adjudicators and the 2016 Monterey Jazz Festival Artist-In-Residence, Terri Lyne Carrington
- Jam for each other and the locals all over downtown Monterey
- Share their music with jazz fans from around the world via Web stream
- Audition for the prestigious Next Generation Jazz Orchestra
- Find out how easy it is to apply
- Where to stay and what to see in Monterey
- Discover more about the Next Generation Jazz Orchestra
- Read about the 2016 Artist-In-Residence, Terri Lyne Carrington
- Read about the 2016 Adjudicators
The Next Generation Jazz Festival takes place at the Monterey Conference Center, located at 1 Portola Plaza, Monterey, CA 93940.
Next Generation Jazz Festival Partners:
Next Generation Jazz Festival Supporters:
You can see hundreds of pictures from past Next Generation Jazz Festivals by going to the Monterey Jazz Festival's Facebook page.