Each spring we invite over 1300 of the nation’s top student musicians to play their hearts out at the Next Generation Jazz Festival (NGJF). One of the most inclusive festivals in the United States, the festival welcomes performances by middle, high school and collegiate groups of every kind: big bands, combos, vocal ensembles, vocal soloists, as well as conglomerate bands. The 47th Next Generation Jazz Festival takes place March 31-April 2, 2017.
Over the course of three days, students:
- Hear and play with some of the best student performers in the country
- Learn tips and techniques in workshops led by the pros
- Get their minds blown by our star-studded judges band
- Receive detailed and thoughtful critique from our experienced adjudicators
and the 2017 Monterey Jazz Festival Artists-In-Residence, John Clayton, Jeff Hamilton and Gerald Clayton
- Jam for each other and the locals all over downtown Monterey
The Next Generation Jazz Festival is open to performing groups in the following categories:
- Middle School Big Band
- High School Vocal Soloist (new for 2017)
- High School Big Band, Combo, Vocal Jazz Ensemble and Big Band Composer <<(Click here for more information)
- Conglomerate High School Big Band and Combo
- College Big Band, Combo or Vocal Jazz Ensemble
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Where to stay and what to see in Monterey
- Discover more about the Next Generation Jazz Orchestra
- 2017 Artist-In-Residence, John Clayton, Jeff Hamilton and Gerald Clayton
- Read about the 2017 Adjudicators
The deadline for the 2017 Next Generation Jazz Festival was January 15, 2017.
You can still apply to the 2017 Next Generation Jazz Orchestra here. Deadline is March 15, 2017.
You can still apply to the High School Composition Competition here. Deadline is March 15, 2017.
Schools, Product Makers and Advertisers:
Information about table rentals and advertising in the Next Generation Jazz Festival Program (PDF download):
- 2017 NGJF College Fair information (PDF download)
2017 NGJF COLLEGE FAIR SUBMISSION FORM
- 2017 NGJF Program Advertising information (PDF download)
2017 NGJF PROGRAM ADVERTISING SUBMISSION FORM
Next Generation Jazz Festival
Located at the Portola Hotel and the Golden State Theatre in downtown Monterey
2 Portola Plaza, Monterey, CA 93940
Thanks to Our 2017 Sponsors:
Future Dates for the Next Generation Jazz Festival
47th NGJF: March 31-April 2, 2017
48th NGJF: April 6-8, 2018
49th NGJF: April 5-7, 2019
Experience Past Next Generation Jazz Festivals
You can see hundreds of pictures from past Next Generation Jazz Festivals by going to the Monterey Jazz Festival's Facebook page.
Listen to an interview previewing the 2014 Next Generation Jazz Festival with Paul Contos on KUSP 88.9FM. Originally broadcast March 24, 2014.