Next Generation Jazz Festival
There’s no greater place to learn than on the bandstand. That’s why each spring we invite over 1300 of the nation’s top student musicians to play their hearts out at the Next Generation Jazz Festival (NGJF). One of the most inclusive festivals in the United States, this “Super Bowl of jazz education” welcomes performances by middle, high school and collegiate groups of every kind: big bands, combos, vocal ensembles, as well as conglomerate bands. Over 130 groups apply each year, and from these the very best duke it out for the glory of performing at the Monterey Jazz Festival in September.
Over the course of three days, students:
- Hear and play with some the best student performers in the country
- Learn tips and techniques in workshops led by the pros
- Get their minds blown by our star-studded judges band
- Receive detailed and thoughtful critique from our experienced adjudicators
- Jam for each other and the locals all over downtown Monterey
- Share their music with jazz fans from around the world via Web stream.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS (to come soon)
You can see hundreds of pictures from past Next Generation Jazz Festivals by going to the Monterey Jazz Festival's Facebook page.