Monterey County Honor Bands
Monterey County High School All-Star Band at the 57th Monterey Jazz Festival. ©2014 Monterey Jazz Festival / Jim Stone
2016 MONTEREY JAZZ FESTIVAL ALL-STARS
& VOCAL ENSEMBLE
WHEN: December 2 & 3, 2015 from 4-8:30pm
WHERE: York School Band Room, 9501 York Rd, Monterey 93940 (see map here)
ABOUT THE AUDITIONS:
- Audition Requirements by Instrument
- Sheet Music for Your Audition
- Auditions are 8-10 minutes long.
- Plan to arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled audition time. Check your scheduled time here.
- We are accepting auditions on ALL instruments and voices. These include alto, tenor and bari saxes, trumpets, trombones, piano, guitar, bass, drums and all range of voices. Flutes, strings and other non-traditional instruments may inquire about eligibility with Paul Contos at email@example.com.
- All students must already participate in their high school music program.
- Time Commitment: Once accepted, honor band members are required to attend twice monthly rehearsals at the York School band room. The All-Star Band rehearses the following Thursday evenings at 7:30pm: January 14 & 28, February 11 & 18, March 3, 17 & 31, April 7. Vocal Ensemble meets the following Tuesdays at 5pm: January 12 & 26, February 9 & 16, March 1, 15 & 29, April 5.
ABOUT THE MJF HONOR BANDS:
“Sometimes a band is just a band, and sometimes a band is like family. Touring to Washington D.C. with the All-Stars was a blast, and easily one of the best experiences of my life.” –Tyler Beron, drums, 2015
Each year Monterey Jazz Festival selects top students from across Monterey County for our middle and high school big bands and vocal ensemble. Led by MJF Education Director Paul Contos (High School All-Star Band) and renowned educator Dr. Rob Klevan (Honor Vocal and Middle School Band), each all-star ensemble:
- Rehearses twice monthly, working on ensemble skills including phrasing, blending, improvisation and rhythmic feel while exploring a range of jazz styles.
- Performs across the County, at the Next Generation Jazz Festival and far beyond, testing their chops on the bandstand while bringing great music to our community. In summer 2015, our high school ensembles travelled to Washington D.C. where they performed at the Kennedy Center, the National Archives, and the Bohemian Caverns jazz club.
- Rehearses daily at our annual two-week Summer Camp, culminating in a community performance and summer tour.
- Email Paul Contos at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 831.373.3366.