Denny Zeitlin interviewed by Willis Conover for Voice of America, 1965
Given the worldwide reputation of the Monterey Jazz Festival, the high demand for entrance to the Fairgrounds, the Festival's commitment to its patrons, and the sensitive nature of artists' rights, the Festival has established the following policies regarding Media Credentials and coverage of the Monterey Jazz Festival:
- Members of the Media must be on Monterey Jazz Festival’s Media list in order receive crucial information about the Festival’s lineup, jazz education programs, breaking news, and other time-sensitive items to be considered for a Credential. Please contact Timothy Orr to be placed on the list. Include all your contact information.
- Being on Monterey Jazz Festival’s media list does not automatically guarantee that you will receive Credentials to the Festival. If you have received Credentials in the past, that does not mean you will receive a Credential automatically the future. You must reapply each year to be considered. Please do not assume you automatically have one.
- Only members of the Media assigned to cover the Monterey Jazz Festival from a recognized media outlet may qualify for a Media Credential. If you are applying to the Festival for the first time, please include links to your previous coverage of music festivals or shows. Journalists with no supporting articles will not be considered.
- Monterey Jazz Festival defines "Media" as: journalists, photographers, editors, or producers who have a verified and specific editorial assignment to cover the Festival for a specific media outlet (print, radio, TV) that generate original articles or reviews on general entertainment, music, news, travel, etc. No assignment letter, no Credential. It's that simple.
- Members of the Media who obtain an assignment from their outlet (which must be sent directly to the Monterey Jazz Festival) who are issued a Media Credential from Monterey Jazz Festival must produce a original published story/review of about that year’s Monterey Jazz Festival. There are no exceptions. Previews that use recycled press releases from Monterey Jazz Festival do not count as original articles.
- Bloggers and web journalists' media requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Freelance journalists without a specific assignment from a media outlet will not be considered for Media Credentials. Aggregation websites will not be considered for Media Credentials.
- Advertising personnel, marketing and sales associates, runners, personal assistants or guests, and other similar support staff employed by media outlets do not qualify for Media Credentials. The Festival cannnot issue Media Credentials to guests or family members traveling with journalists. There are no exceptions. Please do not ask for additional Credentials.
- Radio stations should refrain from asking for more than two credentials per station. We cannot accommodate every person who has a jazz show on every station. Station managers or program directors should send a assignment letter for each assigned journalist.
- If you are not from the Media, do not try to use other contacts you may know who are associated with the Monterey Jazz Festival to leverage Media Credentials. Just. Don't. The way to support jazz education is to buy a ticket.
- If you are a patron who has tickets to the Festival, please do not ask for a Photo Credential. We have gotten many recent complaints from other patrons and artists when a patron/photographer abuses their seating in the Arena to take pictures. Press photographers must shoot from specific areas, not next to paying customers.
- If approved for a Media Credential, please do not make additional requests at the door. It will end badly. If approved for a Media Credential, do not take a valid Credential acceptance letter and give it to another person not approved by the Monterey Jazz Festival staff. It will end badly. We encourage you to support Monterey Jazz Festival's educational programs and our half-century commitment to presenting the world's best jazz artists by purchasing a ticket.
- The Festival staff maintains the right to issue, deny, or revoke Media Credentials at its discretion at all times.
To apply for a Media Credential for the 58th Annual Monterey Jazz Festival, members for the Media are asked to contact Festival staff between April 1 - August 1, 2015. After this August 1 deadline, it becomes increasingy impossible for us to consider late requests and you will end up dissapointed. Walk-in requests for Credentials during Festival week will be denied.
We take the credential process seriously, and so should you. If you are unable to provide the requested information on this page, then we cannot issue a credential to you. Thanks for your cooperation in advance.
Please provide the following information prior to August 1, 2015:
- Full names of those covering the 58th Annual Monterey Jazz Festival
- Media category for each journalist: Press (print, radio, TV, or web journalism), photography, or video. NOTE: Journalists using any kind of recording device (audio and/or digital video) must be accompanied by a video escort at all times while attending the Monterey Jazz Festival. Journalists using a detachable single-lens reflex camera (film or digital) must have a Photo Credential. Only a single Credential will be issued.
- Specific days when you will be attending the Monterey Jazz Festival (Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, or all weekend)
- The circulation or expected readers/listeners of publication or broadcast
- Full contact information, including email and cell phone
- Verification in writing (fax, email or hardcopy mail) from publication editor or assignment editor of the Media to cover the Monterey Jazz Festival. Verification must include full name and contact information for both the publication editor/assignment editor, and the applying journalist. Verification must be on appropriate letterhead.
Once at the Monterey Jazz Festival, if you lose your credential, it cannot be replaced. Treat it like cash.
For publications or media not familiar to Monterey Jazz Festival staff, members of the Media must provide copies/links for previous articles covering jazz, music and/or entertainment.
Once the Monterey Jazz Festival is over, please send your review of the festival to us. Press clipping services and Google alerts don't catch every article. If we don't get a review of the Festival after issuing a credential (either sent by the journalist or obtained by Google or through a press clipping service) we will not issue you a credential in the future.
All correspondence and questions regarding the Media Credential
process should be addressed to:
Marketing and Public Relations Associate
Monterey Jazz Festival
P.O. Box JAZZ / Monterey, CA 93942
9699 Blue Larkspur Lane, Suite 204 / Monterey, CA 93940
Tel: 831.646.8670 / Fax: 831.373.0244
Members of the Media will be notified by September 1, 2015 regarding their status for Credentials for coverage of the 58th Annual Monterey Jazz Festival.